Cake with an airy, light sponge and rich cream filling. It’s simple enough for an afternoon tea but special enough for a party too.
For the 15cm cake:
- 3 small eggs
- 100g sugar
- 85g flour
- 1t.s. baking powder
- Whisk eggs with sugar for about 10min. The texture should be white and almost firm.
- Pour oil and whisk for little bit more.
- Mix flour with baking powder.
- Carefully stir flour mixture with spatula into egg batter.
- Bake in 175C preheated oven for about 30min.
- Batter will rise a lot, but after it cooling down it will shrink .
- Leave to cool down completely.
For the cream:
- 1 box Mascarpone
- 1C Whipping cream
- 0.5 Caramel (canned)
- 2 tbs Powdered sugar
- Black currant jam.
- Mix mascarpone with caramel.
- Mix whipping cream with powdered sugar and whisk until it doubles and firm.
- Careful with spatula, mix both batters together.
For wetting cake:
- 0.5 C Black tea with 1.5 tsp sugar
Assembling the cake:
- Cut sponge cake into 3-4 layers.
- On first layer add little bit of black tea. Then cover it with thin layer of black currant jam. Put cream on top.
- Put on another sponge cake layer on top and repeat until all layers will be cowered with cream.
- Leave cake in the fridge for at least 24h, then decorate as you like.